India’s Dr. Vinay Goyalis the current head of Nuclear Medicine Department and Thyroid clinic at Riddhivinayak Cardiac and Critical Centre. With over 20 years of clinical experience he has some simple precautionary advice for all of us. The possibility and probability of coming into contact with H1N1 virus has the world paying attention.
The primary portals for the virus are the nostrils and the mouth and throat. Even if you have come in contact with someone with this flu, it still takes 2 to 3 days after the initial infection in the throat or nasal cavity to proliferate and show the characteristic symptoms.
1. Gargling is extremely effective, either with warm salt water or Listerine. Dr. Goyalis indicated that it would have a similar effect on a healthy person, as Tamaflu would on an infected one. He further added to not underestimate this simple, powerful and inexpensive procedure.
2. Wash your hands in warm soapy water for at least 20 seconds, frequently.
3. Touching your face is a habit we all must break. Resist the temptation.
4. Clean your nostrils with warm salt water. “Not everybody may be good at Jala or Sutra Neti, a very good asanas to clean nasal cavities. Blow your nose hard once a day and swab both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water as an effective way to bring down the viral population.
5. Charge up your immune systems with natural vitamin C in foods and supplements, choose a C that includes zinc to boost absorption.
6. Drink a lot of warm liquids, as it carries or washes out the virus from the throat to the stomach where the virus cannot survive.
As time goes on, there will be more advice to be sure, but this is a good beginning.
Stay tuned, and stay healthy. For more info on health in Panama: PanamaQmagazine