Just between January and May Panama received 755,000 visitors. These visitors spent $699 million. These numbers have fueled the hotel industry growth. Close to 10,000 new rooms will be built in the next three years.
The hotels under construction which should be ready by end 2010 are:
· Nikki Beach with 220 rooms.
· Doubletree by Hilton with 213 rooms.
· Riu with 645 rooms.
· The Beach House at Amador with 33 rooms.
· Apartahotel Essenza with 499 rooms.
The following hotels are expected to be finished by 2011:
· Trump Ocean Club with 300 rooms.
· Megapolis with 1500 rooms
· Ritz Plaza with 216 rooms
· Hilton Panama with 351 rooms
· Waldorf Astoria with 126 rooms
The airport facilities are also being significantly improved. Tocumen International Airport’s expansion is progressing at a steady pace and the bidding for a new food court, food being one of the airport’s Achilles heel, is underway and several international companies have submitted bids.
For the complete article: http://www.panamaqmagazine.com/august_QT_2010/Tourism%20growth.html